Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you. (It’s fast and free!)
Future LPC: For Indiana High School Student or High School GraduateYour First Step: Look into undergraduate degree programs such as in Psychology or Social Work. Many factors are used by admissions committees to evaluate candidates; they include ones such as resume, personal statement, transcripts, references, and test scores. Focus on making solid grades as an undergraduate. Make yourself as strongly competitive as you can. Your Second Step: Gain substantial volunteer or work experience in the counseling field. Paid projects and volunteer experiences are both viable.
Bachelor’s Degree College Graduates(CACREP– The Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs). Rehabilitation counseling programs are usually accredited by CORE (The Council on Rehabilitation Education). First:
- Those aspiring to mental health counselor will require sixty semester hours. 12 content areas of coursework should be identified by the Board; and 1,000 hours of practicum and internship will be needed, as well.
- Those interested in school counseling should enroll in a graduate program in guidance counseling that prepares them for working with students of different ages.
- For those aspiring to work as clinical addictions counselor, it is wise to enter a graduate program that focuses on counseling for addictions or something comparable. The program should encompass 27 coursework semester hours in specific Board-set content areas. It is required that the student have 700 practicum hours, internship, or related field experience. Those who enter an addiction counseling program that has CACREP-accreditation will be in store for 60 semester hours.
- Graduates of counseling in mental health can start work under supervision, without actually being licensed. One must have 21 months of experience with “under supervision” work and the accruing of 3,000 hours. (Those in a doctoral program are able to accrue hours before completing the degree.)
- “Clinical addictions counselor licensure” will usually require two years of solid experience.
- Those who have an initial school counselor license must complete the Indiana Mentor and Assessment program (or Fellowship) before procuring the Proficient Practitioner License.